Monday, November 2, 2015

Halloween Hike Photos

I was determined to get outside and go for a long walk, so I drove to Merrill Creek to admire the autumn foliage.  Almost as an afterthought, I brought along my camera.  I wasn't sure what sort of lighting I would get, since it was quite cloudy when I left the house.  Many leaves have fallen since the one day of hard rain that we've had in the Northeast this fall.  I was pleasantly surprised by the surplus of gorgeous golden foliage set against a lovely blue sky streaked with wisps of white clouds.  Despite the cloudiness, it was bright, and slanting sunlight poured through the trees.  I had a difficult time reviewing photos on my camera's screen due to the brightness of the light reflecting from the clouds.  

I used a variety of f-stops and shutter speeds, but what seemed to work best were shutter speeds ranging from 1/100-1/250 and apertures from f12 to f18.  The photos required minimal editing, as I was satisfied with the composition quality; I adjusted the exposure and contrast here and there.  I was using my Nikon D300 with a Tamron telescoping lens (28-300mm).  I've only just started using the Tamron (it sat for a number of years in my camera bag), and I regret not trying it sooner.  It's a versatile piece of equipment that takes sharp photos, and is a little lighter than my other telephoto lenses.  As I hate carrying a large amount of weight around my neck, this is a huge plus.  It was a pleasure to be out and about in the beautiful weather this past Halloween afternoon.  I can't wait to get out there and take more photos!







No comments:

Post a Comment