Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Spirit Horse in Charcoal

"Spirit Horse"
charcoal
11x14
For the first time in a while, I drew something bigger than my tiny little sketchbook that fits in my bag and comes along to work with me. I was inspired to revisit one of my favorite sketches so far and try it out in a larger size. Using charcoal has a much different effect than mechanical pencil or pen. Here it lends a softer, more whimsical feel to the piece than did my previously uploaded mechanical pencil edition. I wasn't originally going to shade the drawing, but I took a phone call during the creative process and absently began cross-hatching the right hind leg. This isn't what a fine artist would call a "finished" drawing, but I was happy with myself that I went outside of my normal zone. Progress should be celebrated, even as a critical eye notes what could be done better.

No comments:

Post a Comment