Friday, March 6, 2015

Landscape drawing and small acrylic painting of a fox

"Landscaping"
gel pen
small leather sketchbook

It was pointed out to me that I tend to focus on details or single subjects in my work, followed by the suggestion that I try to branch out and experiment with landscapes.  I have done a couple of small landscapes here and there, and while there are many possibilities within the scope of landscape painting, it just isn't something I have really gotten into.  Many landscape paintings are large, grand affairs.  This sketch was somewhat tedious for me.  Leaves were agonizingly difficult to represent to my liking, so I settled for suggestions of leaves.  I remember several years ago when I had recently gotten my driver's license, I took my paints and even an easel out to do a little plein air, but once I had arrived at my destination, I realized I hadn't brought a single scrap of paper. 

As a viewer of art, I find myself attracted to more impressionist landscapes in the style of Monet  than those devoted to capture every detail.  Tight, realistic brushwork is impressive, but it doesn't stir me the same way loose strokes and a sense of effervescent light do.  Maybe I'll hit the road with brushes and paints again, and this time I'll remember to bring a canvas or two.


"Vulpes Sienna"
acrylic paint
4"x5"
Yet another snowy day gave me some time to break out the acrylic paint again.   I've been considering re-reading His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, and I've always wished for a daemon of my own.  Sometimes I like to wonder what my spirit animal could be, even going so far as to take some of those silly online quizzes out of boredom.  The answer points strongly to wolf or bear, so I originally was going to do a spirit-wolf painting.  Then I made the face of the canid too pointy.  Oh well, I had been reading about foxes lately, so I pursued the vulpine subject matter.  This was just for fun, and I wanted it to be a simplistic representation of the animal.  I've seen foxes hunting in the winter snow.  They leap straight into the air, back arched, tail looped, and come pouncing down forelegs first.  This behavior is what inspired this fox's pose.


No comments:

Post a Comment