Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Floral studies- pansy and crocus

"Crocuses"
gel pen
small leather sketchbook

Dreaming of spring, I thought of the flowers that I would like to put in my garden.  Crocuses shall have to wait for planting until the fall, but I'm looking forward to adding some bright, early splashes of color with pansies.  I've done a pansy study before from the flowers in my mother's garden, and doing this drawing took me back to that moment in April sunshine.  When it's cold, smells are dampened, but when the first warm spring winds come, the air is alive with rich soil and heady chlorophyll.  My favorite spring scents are lilacs and hyacinth.  Although snow is falling (again), the first green shoots will soon push through the thawing earth.

There was no preliminary sketch in pencil for either of these drawings; I simply took my pen, began with the basic shapes of the flowers, and added detail.  I have a tendency to vertically elongate my subjects, especially as seen in the pansies below.  A lot of (out)lines were used, giving these more of a design quality than realism per se.

"Pansies"
gel pen
small leather sketchbook

No comments:

Post a Comment