Wednesday, March 18, 2015

"Dun Lusitano" graphite sketch

"Dun Lusitano"
graphite
small leather sketchbook
I decide to return to a more realistic style after feeling inspired by talking horses with a friend of mine.  There's a dun mare who graduated from the Rutgers Young Horse research program available for lease in my area, and I am deeply tempted to meet her.  She looks like a gorgeous, friendly animal, and was the reason for my Google search "dun horse."

This horse's confirmation looks good and well-formed, except for the fact that his head is too big.  I actually began with the head, when it is usually better to have a rough drawing of the whole horse first.  The latter methodology can help you catch any disproportions and other mistakes.  I also began too low down on my page, and as I wanted to draw all of the horse or as much as possible, some subconscious shrinkage occurred from the shoulder back.  It's most noticeable in the hindquarters.  I did not have a blending stick, so I used a finger to lightly shade the horse and went over darker areas again with my pencil.  The drawing does not have a finished feel to it but retains its sketch characteristics.  I would like to heighten the contrast and tighten up some of the pencil strokes.  I have noticed that my pencil sketches of horses do have a similar style, although I haven't quite figured out how to describe it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment