Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Some sketches, and more thoughts on matting

Some quick internet searching has revealed the depth of my lack of knowledge on how to mat my prints.  However, my googling has also shown that this can easily be remedied, and now I have a few more items on my wish list: namely those supplies required to cut my own mat board.  I also saw some good ideas on picking up frames from Goodwill and the like, since places like Michael's will charge you a simply ridiculous amount of money.

I'm always a little nervous about using sharp edges and power tools (I walked in on The Machinist at a very scarring moment), which is one of the reasons why I only ever visited the wood shop at Mason Gross once to attempt making my own frame for a canvas.  If only somebody would cut the frames for me, then I would happily stretch my own canvas!  I do think that I can handle a mat cutter, though.  I want to be a serious artist, and a serious artist can and will cut her own mats.  I will start with simple archival-quality matboard until I have a little more recognition and funding, then I will look into the museum-quality stuff.

Meanwhile, here are some sketches for your amusement.

"Palomino"
colored pencil
small leather sketchbok

"I Love Snow"
EnerGel pen
small leather sketchbook

"Dappled Stud"
EnerGel pen
small leather sketchbook

No comments:

Post a Comment