Wednesday, December 10, 2014

"Plum Pretty"

"Plum Pretty"
11x13
pen
After a little bit of sketching and perusing another Google image search of "two horses," I decided to type in "galloping horse."  I was having trouble staying awake and needed to draw something with plenty of energy.  Somewhat dissatisfied with the results, I typed in "galloping Thoroughbred."

I have always been very fond of Thoroughbred horses; many of the horses that I have ridden are OTTBs.  Their athleticism, conformation, and competitive spirit have always impressed me.  I came across a photo of a mare named Plum Pretty.  She was fully extended at the gallop, one ear pricked back at her jockey, one ear surveying the track.  Her muscles would make Michelangelo drool.  As it turns out, she is quite a fancy filly, having won the 2011 Kentucky Oaks.  She sold at Keeneland for $4.2 million in 2012 (source: Blood Horse).  This is not a horse who will turn up in a lesson string for the likes of me to fall in love with.

While drawing, I found myself thrilled with excitement over just how fit this mare was and how amazing the equine physiology is.  I'm not sure that I manage to capture her as well as I would have liked, but some passersby thought it was a pretty picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment