Friday, December 19, 2014

Gesture drawing with horses

I had ten minutes, and I decided to draw some horses from real life using my skills from drawing a human model.  There's a few pastures near my workplace.  These Standardbred geldings were munching down on some hay in a hay rack.  They also are not so cooperative as a human model, who you can tell to just stand there.  Because they were eating, their body movement was minimal, but their heads and necks were constantly in motion.  It was an exhilarating challenge that mentally put me totally in the moment.  The goal of gesture drawing is to capture your subject in as little time as possible, and is ideal both for your developing eye and for capturing subjects prone to sudden movement.


Gray RUMP horse
Gesture Drawing 1
pen
small leather sketchbook

Gesture Drawing 2
pen
small leather sketchbook

Gesture Drawing 3
pen
small leather sketchbook
Later, I had a little more time and worked from one of my old photos, paying close attention to the details of and around the eye.  This took much longer than ten minutes.  I got very much into the swing of laying down graphite line after graphite line.  A few areas should be darker, but I will need something harder than #2 to properly finish it out.

Equine Eye and Face- study
graphite
small leather sketchbook

No comments:

Post a Comment