Monday, October 26, 2015

Study of a study: Leonardo da Vinci

"Study of a rearing horse: Leonardo da Vinci"
Sharpie pen
5.5x8.5
A couple of my teachers throughout the years have recommended replicating art that you admire as a method of improvement in technique.  I pulled up some images of sketches by Leonardo da Vinci, and chose this one as my reference.  

I used a Sharpie pen, whereas da Vinci used red chalk in his drawing.  The feel is a lot different as a result.  His lines and shading have a much more organic feel to them, which makes sense given that many of his studies were in preparation for sculpture.  My lines are sharp and crisp, and I had to rely on crosshatching for a similar result to da Vinci's shading.  

It is interesting to see where he experimented with different anatomical placements of the horse's head and legs.  These conscious choices can make a huge difference in the impact of a piece; I am striving to be more aware of my choices when creating art.  While I was working on this piece, I felt the most focused and inspired that I have in quite some time.  I suppose that studying the great artists will do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment