Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Triceratops Sketch

"Trike"
graphite sketch
small leather sketchbook

One day, I will have a scanner, and my readers won't be subjected to less than ideal cell phone photos.  A couple of days ago, I was thinking about dinosaurs, and about drawing a dinosaur.  When I was a little kid, I wanted to be a paleontologist.  My brothers and I watched Jurassic Park, Land Before Time, and this worn out VHS documentary about dinosaurs on repeat.  We had all sorts of toy dinosaurs; a blue stuffed triceratops has survived with us all these years.  It makes sense, given my love of nature and animals.  Dinosaurs are an extinct branch of what could have been, and also appeal to my fascination with fantasy.  It wouldn't be too far fetched to say dragons existed, but we just haven't found them in the fossil record yet.  So when my brain said, "We shall draw a triceratops," I gladly reminisced on all the excitement I felt as a child when confronted with these amazingly diverse animals.  As an adult, well, they're still pretty cool.  I can't really say the same about Fisher Price.

No comments:

Post a Comment