Friday, January 9, 2015

Arabian stallion graphite sketch

Arabian Stallion
graphite
small leather sketchbook

I was browsing pictures of black Arabian horses, and a picture of this stallion was among the search results.  His beauty and almost geometric conformation captivated me at once, and I thought to myself, "I'm going to draw that horse."  It is easy to draw beautiful pictures when one has beautiful subjects.  That being said, I will critique myself on my rendition of his body (it being oddly angled/proportioned in the photo), and I'm not sure I like having added his tail or not.  I thought that the composition was lacking without it, but the execution isn't quite how I pictured it.  I was trying not to be a slave to my reference photo; this will take even more practice.  However, I am satisfied with the way his head and neck turned out.  Lines and patches of graphite flow smoothly and elegantly, capturing the stallion's form and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment